Pottery & Ceramics
BluSeed Studios offers a 1000-sq.-ft. fully equipped ceramics studio.
The space includes seven electric wheels and one kick wheel, a slab roller for hand building/sculpture, glazing slip cast areas, two electric kilns, an outdoor gas kiln and an outdoor raku kiln. Classes are offered in the fall and winter for both beginner and advanced levels. There are also a variety of workshops offered throughout the summer, including workshops for children through our BluSeedlings program.
Ceramic Studio Rental and Use Policy
BluSeed Studios Ceramic Studio provides students the equipment, space and resources to successfully create individual work. It is a valuable community teaching facility and many levels of classes have been held concurrently with great success. It has also accommodated professional or emerging artists and casual craftspeople for over four years.
Only artists who have formal education in ceramics will be allowed to rent the facilities. Others who have become proficient in using the equipment at BluSeed Studios through taking workshops and/or instruction at BluSeed will also be considered for eligibility to rent the ceramic studio.
To accommodate use of the studio by professional artists and craftsperson’s in addition to holding classes and workshops for the community, the board has adopted the following fee and use structure:
- The artist or craftsperson wishing to use the Ceramic Studio will has access to the materials, equipment and space at a cost of $100.00per month for up to 20 hours of use per week.
- Professional artists using a portion of the studio (up to 25 sq. ft.) as personal space will pay $200.00 per month. ($8.00 per sq. ft.) and have the following responsibilities:
- Help mix studio glazes
- Help maintain message boards/calendar/kiln schedule
- Help with general cleaning/wet mopping
- The artist must provide their own clay and recycling facility, or any bagged clay used from BluSeed Studios supply must be replaced or reimbursed.
- The artist must keep their workspace, work and all materials in a neat manner and will not impose on the common workspace during scheduled class times.
- There is no fee for personal shelf space, but if the work of individual artists infringes on student shelf space use, then a fee will be imposed.
- Bluseed provides glazes from its own palette and commonly used glaze materials.
- Kiln firing costs will be $25.00 for a bisque and $50.00 for a glaze firing for a full load of personal work in the cone 6 electric kiln.
- Personal work fired at less than a full kiln load will be charged at $.025 cents per cubic inch for bisque and $.05 cents for glaze.
- A kiln-firing calendar has been established. Firing for enrolled and paid student work will always take precedent over professional and personal kiln use.
Currently the ceramic studio operates on a friendly and casual open door policy. The studio is available virtually 24/7. Other studios have an open hour schedule and or/additional fees for “key holders”. While we do not operate in this manner at the current time this aspect may change if space demand becomes an issue.